So you have probably heard about RFID key fobs. If it is your first time to hear about it, you have come to the right place. Modern key fobs offer a simple way for businesses to manage entry into their establishment.
A key fob is a physical device that is small enough to attach to a keychain. It opens or unlocks doors electronically. It was first introduced in the market in 1983. Over the years, technological development has honed its capabilities making it better.
In the early times, RFID key fobs were used to open car doors. It uses the line of sight and infrared. However, they are highly susceptible to counterfeiting. Throughout the years, Its have developed a more secure system. This system functions through RFID tags. Unlike the older system, it uses radio frequency signals to receive data. It is difficult to copy and manipulate.
How do RFID key fobs work?
RFID key fobs have RFID tags. It uses electromagnetic fields to track data on tags. Tags are where information is usually stored. To open the door using a key fob, you simply need to old your fob in front of the reader. Each key fob has a unique microchip that the reader will identify. If you present the correct key fob to the reader, the door will automatically open.
Establishments like hotels use key fobs to tighten door security. However, you have the option to reprogram one key fob to open on all doors. They call it master key fob. In case the customer loses his key fob, the management can still gain entry to the room.
RFID Key Fob vs. Proximity Key
A proximity key is a fob that allows keyless entry. Like a key fob, it uses RFID technology to transmit data and gain entry to the door. However, it does not need to be waved in front of the reader. A proximity key can still unlock a door even when inside your bag or pocket.
Top Reasons to Use Key Fobs
It is no surprise that key fobs are used by many establishments. The technology tightens security and simplifies some complicated jobs. The following are some reasons that you may want to start using RFID key fobs for your business.
- Ease of use and management – Key fobs are very easy to use. It takes a no-brainer for one to operate it. From a business perspective, it eliminates the hassle of running manual security checks. For example, if you are running a hotel you don’t have to manually give keys. Manual keys are easily copied. It makes businesses prone to theft and robbery. Key fobs increase customer satisfaction and promote ease of access. It is quite modern and more convenient for hotel owners.
- Tighter security – Key fobs have the same function as traditional keys. But they offer additional convenience and security. Businesses can track which customer is in what room. If you wish to deny someone entry to the room, you can simply deactivate the key fob. It provides greater security for your entire building as well. Say for example you are running a firm. You can reprogram key fobs to allow only employees to enter the building. It also allows you to control who can enter which door and when. For example, you can allow access to a warehouse only to the necessary employees during their designated work schedule. The best advantage is that it helps you record entries and exits. It lets you track attendance and monitor staff.
- Anti-hack system – Key fobs can come with an RFID-blocking sleeve to cover your fob. This protects your key fob from evildoers who would attempt to hack your data. You can also change your system to non-broadcast. This creates a challenge-response approach or a rolling code that will block a hacker’s reader. In case of unauthorized entry, it automatically runs some codes that protect prime data and block hackers.
- Anti-counterfeiting – Unlike traditional keys, key fobs are not easily imitated. RFID key fob contains codes and programs inside the microchip. Hackers will find it difficult to access your card. For example, you can add two-factor authentication to your key fob. It is the best way to upgrade your business’s digital security.
- Cost-effective – Key fobs can be expensive. However, you should consider them as a small investment to protect bigger ones. When your security is weak, your business could easily be a target for hackers. When hackers breach security, they can take expensive items from your business. You cannot afford to lose anything.
Who can Use RFID Key Fobs?
RFID Key fobs are ideal for apartment and gated communities. With a key fob, you can restrict access to only authorized persons. You can also use key fobs to grant tenants to common areas. You can include the main gate, community pool, and storage facilities. There is no need for security guards to come closer to tenants to check for privileges.
The RFID key fob does it for your business. It simplifies security and checks and promotes client independence. You can also reprogram fobs to gain access to individual residences.
Thus, tenants can grant to cleaning crews, dog walkers, and babysitters without having to worry about keys being copied.
RFID Key fobs can also work well in a business environment. It adds security and can immediately block lost or stolen key fobs. You can also use it to block employees who are already terminated. Some businesses regularly change the access code for restricted areas and reprogram fobs. You can also integrate fobs into a commercial security system. Among other benefits, this provides easy tracking for employees. It helps track entries and exits. Contact us to help you program key fobs for your business.